Monday, March 16, 2009

Titus 2

Verses 7-8, “In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.”

These leadership words from Paul to Titus still ring true today. I am to set an example. I have read that so goes the pastor, so goes the church. People in and outside the church are watching what I do and what I don’t do. I know I fail. I know people want to find anything negative about me. Paul doesn’t say that there may be people who oppose me, he states it as a fact. As long as I am a follower of Jesus who is living and teaching what is in accord with sound doctrine (verse 1), there will be people who oppose me – inside and outside the church.

I am to live with such integrity that I cannot be condemned. That’s huge because I do fail. I do have character flaws. I do say things and do things that I regret. I must be very intentional about how I live – what I say and what I do. Eternity hangs in the balance. I want to point people to Jesus. And it all begins with my integrity and my character. That’s true for every follower of Jesus.

0 comments: