Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Book # 5 - What Got You Here Won't Get You There


As Charter Oak Church continues to grow in maturity, attendance, staff, volunteers, square footage, etc. I realize that the way that we have always done things won't support us to do the things that God wants us to do in the future. Marshall Goldsmith's book, What Got You Here Won't Get You There, seemed to jump off the shelf at Barnes n Noble.
Goldsmith lists 20 workplace habits (really 21) that need to change if the organization is going to move forward in growth. These changes begin in the leader of the organization. That would be me, here at Charter Oak Church.
Let me tell you, this was not an easy process for me. I worked through this book very hard. I didn't take the easy way out. I got on my knees before God and asked Him to reveal some behaviors that needed to be changed in me. That kind of pruning is not easy, but is necessary to go to the next level. If you are a leader who wants to take a critical look at where you are so you can be prepared to go where God wants you, I highly recommend this book. This is not a spiritually centered book, it is a business, leadership book. But it didn't matter to me.

0 comments: