Monday, March 23, 2009

1 Samuel 12

Verse 22-25, "For the sake of his great name the Lord will not reject his people, because the Lord was please to make you his own. As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by failing to pray for you. And I'll teach you the way that is good and right. But be sure to fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you. Yet if you persist in doing evil, both you and your king will be swept away."

The Israelites just found out how big of a mistake they made in asking for a king. There are always repercussions to our decisions. Here's what most people forget, why it is that decisions like these break God's heart: our decisions are made on what we believe. Therefore the decision that the Israelites made about asking for a king revealed that they believed that God Almighty wasn't good enough to meet their military needs. Ouch!

Every decision I make is based on what I believe. I may say I believe differently but who makes decisions based on the opposite of what they truly believe? If I am too busy to pray or read my Bible that means I believe my work is more important than God. No one would really admit to that would they? I could come up with tons of decisions that I make that really reveal my heart and my relationship with my God that I don't want to look at too deeply, but I need to.

Here's the thing I love about this passage, Samuel says there is still hope. Even though they rejected God, God has not rejected them. They need to fear God and serve Him faithfully with all their heart. God's grace was evident. He can't turn off His love for us. I am so thankful.

0 comments: