Sunday, March 29, 2009

1 Samuel 20

verse 42, "Jonathan said to David, 'Go in peace, for we have sworn friendship with each other in the name of the Lord,..."

Close friends - the best of friends - a sworn friendship. David and Jonathan were very close friends. They knew that they could count on each other. Both were willing to sacrifice for the other.

We all need this kind of friendship. We need to know that there is always going to be someone that has our back. For me, there is not much worse than someone who calls themselves my friend and then talks behind my back. That would never happen between Jonathan and David. I think they would give up their lives before they ever allowed anything negative to hurt the other one.

I must be absolutely certain that I am standing up for my friends. I must encourage and defend. I must be willing to sacrifice on their behalf. I love my friends and I must display that love with my actions and my words even when they aren't around.

0 comments: