Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Book #4 - Lasting Impressions



Every once in a while I am surprised by a random act of kindness. Sometimes I am blown away. In January Mark Waltz sent me two free copies of his newest book - Lasting Impressions: From Visiting to Belonging, along with a great personal note of encouragement.

The reason I was blown away was that Mark was encouraging me at a time when his church, Granger Community Church, was getting ready to announce the layoff of a handful of employees and the reduction of hours for many more. He was blessing me in a time of difficulty in his life and ministry. That is an incredible display of Godly character and integrity.

Lasting Impressions really resonated with me because Mark touches on many aspects that we are talking about at Charter Oak Church. The part that I think I loved the most is the transition that needs to happen in churches from being responsible "to" people rather than responsible "for" their spiritual development. Part of our mission at Charter Oak Church is to "equip people to become fully devoted followers of Jesus." We are not responsible for people's walk with God - they are. We are here to equip and to love and to walk along side of, but not responsible for their growth and/or obedience.

I have already handed off both copies of my book and may be purchasing more for our First Impressions team.

0 comments: