Monday, March 16, 2009

Titus 1

Verses 8-9, “Rather he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined. He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.”

Character is everything. The foundation of a leader is in who he is, when people are watching and when no one is. A leader can have all the talent in the world but if he doesn’t display the kind of character that Paul describes here, he is not a leader after God’s own heart.

Out of this very short list I think that the two that strike me the most are “holy and disciplined.” I realize we are to be holy and to strive after the life of Jesus, but to be honest that is a monumental task that if I seek to accomplish alone I will fail. However, I do believe it is connected to “disciplined” for a reason. That is my part. I am to take care of today, not worrying about tomorrow. My responsibility is to take care of my relationship with God right now. That means I follow the Rule of Life. That means I take care of my life – spiritually, physically, emotionally. This one is on me. I am responsible for my discipline. As I am disciplined in my walk with God, then God will take care of His part – the growth, and that will lead to being holy.

0 comments: