Tuesday, March 24, 2009

1 Samuel 15

Verse 26, "But Samuel said to him, 'I will not go back with you. You have rejected the word of the Lord, and the Lord has rejected you as king over Israel!"

God wants total obedience. There is no such things as partial obedience. You can't be kind of pregnant and you can't be kind of obedient. Saul got into his mind what he thought God wanted. He didn't follow through as God commanded him. Saul was more influenced by what others would think than what God would think. And it cost him everything.

I'm sure there are people who read this and ask if it isn't a bit extreme. In asking that question they miss the whole point that this is all about God and our obedience to Him. The scale of the command has nothing to do with the level of obedience - you either follow God or not. This account just makes it crystal clear what God demands of us - total obedience.

Reading this today reminds me to be absolutely certain that what I am doing and where I am leading is in total alignment with where God is commanding. I don't want to be influenced by man, only by God. I want to be obedient. I don't want to lose God's favor. I don't want God to reject me. I want to please God. I want to honor God. I want to love God with all of my heart, all of my mind, all of my soul, and all of my strength.

0 comments: