Thursday, January 26, 2012

Experiencing God - Week 3, Day 2

The memory verse for this week is Matthew 22:37-38, "Jesus replied, 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment."

The most meaningful statement for today's study really was a question - If you knew all you had was a relationship with God, would you be totally and completely satisfied?  What a hard hitting question!  I can answer that, "Oh, yes! I'm a pastor of course that is true."  But when I dig even a little below the surface I have to really check myself.  If something happened to Kelli would I still be totally and completely satisfied with my relationship with God?  If something happened to Caleb or Abby, would I?  If I lost my job, if I lost my health, if I lost everything around me that I know and I am comfortable with, would I be totally and completely satisfied with my relationship with God?

I do know this, I don't want to find out.  That's just gut level honesty. 

Saying yes to Blackaby's question cannot be done quickly and easily.  I even think it is a day by day answer that grows and develops as I mature in my faith as a follower of Jesus.  What it is causing me to do is evaluate if I am making decisions about my life that demonstrate that I am totally and completely satisfied with my relationship with God.

0 comments: