Monday, May 21, 2007

Servants of Jesus

Devotions for May 21, 2007

Proverbs 21
1 Corinthians 4
Our God Reigns - Chris Tomlin, Charlie Hall, David Crowder

Scripture
"Men ought to regard us as servants of Christ." (1 Corinthians 4:1)

Observation
Let's just put it all on the line here - Paul calls himself a servant. He calls Peter, Apollos, any one who is in spiritual leadership a servant of Jesus. When Paul makes this statement it removes all doubt about the whole argument that was going on in Corinth about those spiritual leaders that people were following and wanting to put on a pedestal. Paul makes it crystal clear that those leaders are to serve the people but to be obedient to God. The Corinthians no longer need to boast about which spiritual leader brought them to Jesus. The point is Jesus, not the spiritual leader.

I love the way Paul sets Timothy up here. He has spent the last few chapters telling the Corinthians where they have gone astray and it has brought division. Now Paul is sending Timothy, a young pastor, who will speak and teach on his behalf. He in essence says that when Timothy speaks, he speaks for me. This is a great way to introduce a new leader.

Application
Since there are three pastors at Charter Oak Church it can become very easy for us to fall into the same trap that the Corinthians did. Pastor Dave has been here for fourteen or fifteen years. I have been here for almost two years. Pastor Mark has been here for a year and a half. Each of us have brought people to Jesus. We each have our own style of leadership and pastoring.

Here's the thing, all three of us are called to be servants of Jesus. We love the people of Charter Oak Church. Our joy comes from seeing people "get it" and follow Jesus. I don't want any credit. I don't want people to tell me that they like me better than anyone else. I want us as the spiritual leaders of this church to help people to find their way back to God and love him with all of their heart, all of their mind, all of their soul, and all of their strength.

The main thing is pointing people to Jesus, not who gets the credit.

Prayer
My God and King, forgive me when I make it about me instead of you. I don't want any credit. I want to boast in Jesus and in him alone. I pray that the people of Charter Oak Church will see me as an obedient servant of Jesus and that will draw them into a deeper, more intimate relationship with you. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

0 comments: