Thursday, May 24, 2007

Marriage

Devotions for May 24, 2007

Proverbs 24
1 Corinthians 7

Scripture
"The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband." (1 Corinthians 7:3)

Observation
Paul makes a change of style in his letter at chapter 7. He now begins to answer questions that the church at Corinth obviously sent him. He begins with marriage. Paul would rather men and women did not get married. He would like them to spend the energy, passion, and devotion on Jesus than on their husband or wife. However, Paul admits that the sexual pull on us is very strong and would rather people get married than to live in sin. Not that sexual pressure is the right reason to get married, but it is better to marry the right person than to burn with passion.

Paul also addresses divorce. Paul strongly cautions against divorce. If two believers are married and living out the character of Jesus there is no reason why they would end their marriage. Paul goes so far as to tell husbands and wives that if their spouse is an unbeliever, it may be their witness that turns them to Jesus, so with that hope and prayer, stay married to them.

Application
The whole point of Paul's call not to get married is about a commitment to Jesus. He wants to remind his readers that the point of our existence on earth is to do life with Jesus. He knows the reality of marriage and how easy it is for our attention to be focused on our families first and then God.

The best scenario is to love our spouse with the love of Jesus so that in every aspect of our marriage God is present. When the point of our marriage is to please God then we will have the most incredible marriage possible. When we choose not to be self-centered, but Christ-centered both the husband and the wife win and God is honored.

I know that there are marriages at Charter Oak Church that are on the brink of disaster and there are marriages that are one with God. My hope and prayer is that every marriage will be centered in Jesus. I want my marriage to Kelli to be the absolute best that it possibly can be. I honor her by deepening my relationship with Jesus. I fall more and more in love with her and my intimacy with God is enriched. I am more in love with Kelli than I have ever been in our almost 16 years of marriage. Every moment, every day, every week, every year gets better - and it was pretty awesome before today. The reason it just keeps getting better and better is because I am more devoted and obedient to God than I have ever been. Every marriage finds its strength in Jesus.

Prayer
Thank you God for the gift of marriage. I pray that my focus in my own marriage will be centered on Jesus first and foremost. I pray that I will choose the character of Jesus for my life and that will overflow into my marriage with Kelli. I pray you will give me eyes that are only on you and her. She is your beautiful bride long before she was mine. I pray that I will always give myself to you fully that I may give myself to her out of that relationship.

I pray almighty God for the marriages of the couples at Charter Oak Church. I pray that you will encourage those who are going through difficult times. I pray that they will put on your grace and forgiveness so that reconciliation may occur.

I pray for those marriages that are strong in you. Continue to fan the flame of commitment to you and to each other in them.

I pray for those who are married to an unbeliever. I ask that you will soften the heart of that spouse who needs you. I pray that you will give them a glimpse of your love through their spouse. Please help that believing spouse to have the patience to wait for their spouse to turn to you and give their life to Jesus.

God I love you, I praise you, I glorify your holy name. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

0 comments: