Saturday, May 19, 2007

God's Secret Wisdom

Devotions for May 19, 2007

Proverbs 19
1 Corinthians 2

Scripture
"My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power." (1 Corinthians 2:4-5)

Observation
Paul continues the conversation that was started in chapter 1 about the distinct difference between what people bring to the table versus what God brings. The Corinthians obviously placed the wisdom and power of man as most important to them. It was all about power, self-reliance, and prestige, not so different from today. Paul stands in stark contrast and declares that it is only God who reveals true wisdom.

The wisdom of God is foolishness to the world. Those who are not of God cannot possibly understand the things that come from the Spirit of God. Paul calls us to put on the mind of Christ.

Application
How do we put on the mind of Christ? I think it is a dedication to practicing the spiritual disciplines. We cannot possibly know the things that come from the Spirit of God if we do not know the Holy Spirit. We must develop an intimate relationship with God through Jesus. We do that through studying the Bible, prayer, time alone with God - listening, and through worship.

I want to be disciplined to practice the presence of God. I want my drive for a relationship with God through Jesus to be stronger than any other pursuit in my life. I want to have the mind of Christ.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I know that often times I value the standards of this world over the foolishness of the cross. Please forgive me. Help me to hunger and thirst for the wisdom that you seek to pour out into those who love you and follow hard after you. Help me to put on the mind of Christ.

Open the minds and the hearts of the people of Charter Oak Church so they too may see that the wisdom of this world is nothing compared to your great love through Jesus. I pray that each person will choose to be in your presence and learn from you each day. We want more of you. We want the fullness of your glory revealed in and through us. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

0 comments: