Monday, April 21, 2008

Book #9 - The Three Signs of a Miserable Job



I just finished reading the latest book from one of my favorite authors, Patrick Lencioni, The Three Signs of a Miserable Job. I didn't get the book because my job is miserable, I bought it because I wanted to make sure that I was leading and managing the staff of Charter Oak Church well.

The three signs of a miserable job are:
1. Anonymity
People cannot be fulfilled in their work if they are not known.
2. Irrelevance
Everyone needs to know that their job matters, to someone.
3. Immeasurement
Employees need to be able to gauge their progress and level of contribution for themselves.

If any of these signs are true then an employee has a high probability that they are in a miserable job. The key for the manager is to remove these three signs for every employee's job.

0 comments: