Monday, February 2, 2009

Making Technology Work for Me

Those of you who regularly return to this blog know that I have been blogging for a couple of years now. I don't get many comments, but I do watch Google Analytics and it tells me people are reading every day. And even though I didn't really post during January the number of people didn't really take that big of a hit. Thanks for sticking with me. Blog = Tech #1

Over Christmas break I jumped into Facebook. I thought it was only for high school and college aged people. Now that I am 40, I figured that I was past being able to have a legitimate reason for having an account. But it was a 60+ year old man who convinced me to join. In just a couple of weeks I now have over 170 friends and seem to get 3-5 more every day. I have no idea if that is good or not, but there are people who are asking to be my friend that I haven't seen in 20 years. Facebook = Tech #2

A friend of mine (Tom) suggested I download the book The Reason Your Church Must Twitter. I thought, do I really want to get a bunch of text messages from people throughout the day? But I really respect Tom, so I got it. Hey, it was only $5. Yesterday, I was half way through the book and decided to set up a Twitter account. I signed up to follow 5 leaders to give this thing a shot. So far it has been good. I have posted a few tweets myself.

So now I am asking myself - how can I make all of this technology work for me? I don't want to serve these new things I am a part of, I want them to work for me. I have read many times that Seth Godin believes that we should brand ourselves. I never really thought that I had a brand called me. But now there are more and more technologies that I am connecting into. Is that a brand? Should there be some kind of connection for me in all of these? I don't know, but I am going to look at people like Tony Morgan, Tim Stevens, Mark Waltz, and Seth Godin for direction.

2 comments:

Karen Hewitt said...

I really enjoyed Steven Furtick's sermon "Purple People Leaders"... (he just started a new series) and he mentions Seth Godin's book about the purple cow. As a "Purple Shirt" leader for CR, I am sharing this sermon with CR leaders. Should I share Seth's book as well?

Anonymous said...

Whoa. I'm feelin' the pressure.