Monday, December 13, 2010

God Story #2

As Christmas quickly approaches I want to share some "God stories" with you that have been shared with me lately. If you want to share a God story that I can share with our church family please email me at cwhitehead@charteroakumc.org.

Visiting at a local nursing home recently, I walked into the room of a senior member of our congregation, who has not been active here for many years. Walking into the room of someone dealing with memory issues, you never know how you may be received. This morning, I saw Ruth lying peacefully on her bed covered in a beautiful velvet blanket. Not wanting to disturb her, I introduced myself again to her roommate, a younger lady who had been moved here away from her home and surroundings to live close to her daughter, in order to better care for her.

As we spoke, she began to cry and was obviously mourning the loss of her former life. As it was close to lunchtime, Fay mentioned we should wake Ruth. Fay began to share with me, as we woke Ruth, how she cares for her, dresses her when no one can come down, helps her find things and keeps her company. I could clearly see how she simply devoted herself to caring for her roommate, loves her with gentleness, patience, and self-sacrifice. In the simple acts of caring for her, I saw God at work in this woman’s life, building purpose and meaning into her days, and healing her own loss in the process.

0 comments: