Monday, April 6, 2009

Learnings from Being Back on the Field - Part 1

On Saturday I played in my first competitive soccer game since college. I hit 40 last year so I am now eligible to play in the over 40 league, or as my son calls it - the old, fat guys league. I would guess that I was the youngest person on the field.

Once the game started some things kicked in with me...

1. I wanted the ball. We had three guys sharing two positions so I knew I would be rotating out of the game every so often. That was good for my lungs, but it also caused me to want the ball even more. I don't think it was a pride issue. I wanted to be in the play, I didn't hog the ball when I had it, but when someone else had the ball I was always moving into a position the receive the ball.

Easter is this coming weekend. Officially its Sunday, but we have four worship services, so we begin on Saturday night. We have three teaching pastors at Charter Oak Church that can bring the Word of God like no body else. But you know what? I want to preach this weekend. I want the ball. Over the course of the last couple of months I have been trying to position myself to receive what God wants me to share this weekend because I want to be in the arena this weekend. I want to share the Good News of the resurrection of Jesus. It's not pride, it's a calling. It's not about me, it's all about Jesus.

More tomorrow on my learnings from being back on the soccer field.

0 comments: