Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Laying It on the Line

This morning I read 1 & 2 Timothy in light of making hard decisions. Paul teaches Timothy some hard truths about leading - not everyone is going to be on board with what God wants to do. That hurts. As I read Paul's words I could feel his pain. I feel the same pain. Not everyone gets on board with where God wants to lead us. People leave. People start rumors. We are all sinners. But what's important is being faithful to God - all the time.

Here's one of my favorite parts of these two letters: "But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that all God's people may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

What I hear Paul saying to Timothy is - "don't give up, God's word is sufficient."

7 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Absolutely correct. Good post.

Keith H. McIlwain said...

I added a link to this post on my own blog.

Chris Whitehead said...

Keith,

When it comes to worship, there is only one thing that matters to me - authenticity. It's not about the music style, the worship leader, or even me. It's all about God.

I have been the pastor of a church whose people authentically worshipped God through traditional hymns. I admit, though, I worship God most authentically through non-tradtional music. The point is not the music - God is the point.

Chris said...

Chris, what you are saying is true...and very very hard. Loving people. wanting them to grow and seeing where they could or should be...knowing that not all will follow. In a word - leadership.

Glad more Asbury guys are getting blogs!

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Chris (Whitehead) - I hear what you're saying re: worship. I've always been interested in what I call "indigenous worship". If you've got a world class organ and folks who know how to use it, then, by all means - go traditional. If the Rolling Stones attend your church, then, by all means, do a rock and roll service.

You know my problems with many "contemporary services". Someone in the church said at some point, "Let's form a praise band and do a contemporary service to attract the Baby Boomers." So worship becomes an attempt at evangelism instead of Jesus-centered worship (also, much of the "praise band" music is so "me-centered" that there are theological concerns as well).

Faithfulness is the key. If God's calling your church to be traditional, then do it. And do it well.

PS - So much worship out there - traditional AND contemporary - is so poorly done. I'm very much attracted to the "emergent" stuff like Hot Metal Bridge, which seems like a fascinating hybrid of traditional and "praise band" stuff.

Chris said...

Sorry Chris, I thought I met you aT Asbury. I was thinking of someone else. You are a Duke guy.

Blessings!

Chris Whitehead said...

Chris,
No problem on the mix up. I have been asked by some people to do my DMin at Asbury.