Monday, May 1, 2006

Baptism

I think we did a first last night at Powered Up - our student ministry. I think it was a first for the history of Charter Oak Church. We baptized four youth by immersion in the sanctuary. It was a really great night.

The students approached me about being baptized and asked if it could be done in a local river and I immediately got shivers down my back thinking about how cold that would be. Then we were going to try a family's heated pool. Finally I approached Pastor Mark and suggested that he get involved since he will be such an important person in these youth's spiritual formation.

Pastor Mark purchased an inflatable pool, laid plastic all over the sanctuary and we dunked our four students with a ton of youth watching and cheering these new brothers and sisters in the faith. I was so blessed to be a part of it. You could see the excitement in these students' eyes - those being baptized and those who were watching. God is certainly moving!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that the fact that you would be open to doing something different in the church is a wonderful example to the youth of this church. Not only does it show that you are willing to step outside the box, but that these youth really matter, and their wishes and concerns matter to all of you. I applaud you for the great ministry that you do every day!