Sunday, August 9, 2009

Book #12 - Not Just a One Night Stand


Donna Gabler who is Charter Oak Church's Pastor of Congregational Care and Missions handed me a book a few weeks ago and asked me to read it. Let me just say as a side note, when my staff give me a book and asks me to read it, they are speaking my love language. The book she gave me is Not Just a One Night Stand: Ministry with the Homeless by John Flowers and Karen Vannoy.

It is short, simple book about how two pastors practically made the decision at their church to minister to homeless people. It is the story of their journey from not having a clue really to the harsh reality of ministering to a people group that are often forgotten or at best pushed around with very little respect from the church or society. This is a challenging book on what I really believe, what the church really believes about the least, the last, and the lost.

0 comments: