Wednesday, July 23, 2008

New Camera


I bought a new camera - the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi. I feel like a manly man just typing the name of the camera. Anyway, it is a huge jump in technology for our family. We had one of the early digital cameras. It still worked but we began to notice that the picture wasn't as clear as it used to be. It was slower to take the next picture. There were just those little things that kept coming up that caused me to want to go get a new camera. Wow! What a camera. This thing takes clearer pictures than I could have imagined. It is a 10.1 mega pixel camera. That means it is rockin good!
As I thought about getting a new camera and what was happening with the old one, it made me think about the local church. It is so easy to get used to what we have always done. It has worked so well. We have great memories. But when we take a closer look, the way it used to work isn't the same as it is now. The quality isn't as good. The clarity of vision isn't as crisp. But we hold on to what we did because of the emotional attachment to it. (I have some of the most important pictures of my wife and kids that were taken by our old camera.)
We took our new camera to an outing in the mountains with some friends of ours. I took a ton of pictures (there is a feature that allows you to just keep taking pictures). I hooked the camera up to our computer and looked at the pictures. I was stunned! The clarity, the intensity were so awesome. We had a great day with our friends and I have the pictures to prove it. All of a sudden we have new memories. The camera didn't have anything to do with the great time we had - that is all about the people we were with that day, but the camera helped to capture it.
We don't do church the way most people in this region. We look very different to most people - from the way our building is designed to the way we create a total weekend worship package. We change things up to make sure that our vision is crystal clear to everyone who is connected to Charter Oak Church. We are developing and equipping people to become fully devoted followers of Jesus. We will use technology, buildings, drama, etc but the real point is people - people who become more like Jesus.

0 comments: