Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Changing Offices

This week we are continuing the process of the transition between Pastor Dave and me. We are changing offices. This is more of a logistical matter than anything else. The office really doesn't mean anything. I know pastors who believe they are leaders because of the office they occupy or the title they hold. An office and a title have nothing to do with leadership.

I have learned through this time of transition that the more I go up, the more I give up. I have read so much from pastors and leadership gurus about this. I thought I understood it, but I really didn't. I could try to explain it to you as it was explained to me, but until you actually get to the leadership position, you can't really understand it. I know I didn't.

I have been very humbled lately. This is a huge job with huge responsibilities. Every day, at different times in the day, it hits me. Without God I will fail. I need to be on my knees more. I need to be in the Bible more. I need people around me who are praying for me. I need people around me who love Jesus, who love Charter Oak Church, and who love me.

I don't need people who criticize me, just because. I don't need people around me who just say yes, no matter what. I don't need people around me that aren't willing to pick up the servant's towel.

I see people very differently now. More than anything I want to look at each person and know that Jesus went to the cross for them.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your comments don't add up. Why change offices, why waste the time if it doesn't matter? Your leadership does not come from your office.