Monday, June 4, 2007

Love in Action

Devotions for June 4, 2007

Proverbs 4
1 Corinthians 13

Scripture
"Love never fails." (1 Corinthians 13:8)

Observation
Paul turns from telling the people of Corinth of how far they have fallen short in their attitude towards their gifting to explaining the most excellent way - love. He points out that we can do all kinds of things, but if it is void of love then it is all for nothing. Instead he teaches what love truly is - love is action. It is not emotional. It is living out the life of Jesus.

Paul acknowledges that we really don't have the full picture yet. We haven't reached perfection, but one day we will, then everything will be revealed. Until that time, the characteristics of faith, hope, and love should be our goals in life. Love being the most important.

Application
This passage is read so much at weddings. It is not merely a chapter for husbands and wives, it is for the Church. We get caught up in so many things that distract us from the mission of God. One of the last characteristics we put on is love. We are not so different from the Corinthians.

We need to capture verses 4-8 and live them out 24/7/365. It should be the cry of our heart to make sure that we are putting on the character of love as demonstrated by Jesus. The Church would be a very different place if we choose to love as Paul teaches.

Prayer
Almighty God, forgive me when I do not love. I know that all too often I am the antithesis of what Paul is writing in 1 Corinthians 13. I want to put on the fullness of the love of Jesus in my life. Help me to choose to love.

I pray that the people of Charter Oak Church will be known for our love for each other, the people in this region, and the people around the world. I pray that we will live love loud for the sake of Jesus. In the name of Jesus Christ I pray. Amen.

0 comments: