Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Perry Called to Today

I never thought I would ever say those words...Perry called today. But that is what happened. I'm not bragging or name dropping. I am totally sold out to learning. I want to learn from the best. I want to learn from those who have been there and done that, because that is the level that I want to go to and I believe God is leading Charter Oak Church. Why should I make mistakes that others made and are willing to share with me?

Perry is the real deal. I want to talk to leaders, not people who are going to try to say the right thing but not say anything at all. I have been thinking and praying about some really tough issues lately and he just out right said what to do and I didn't even have to ask about it. He knew it was coming. What great insight!

Here are a couple of big things he said to me...
1. Lead at the next level. We are at 750, start making decisions now for what it's going to be like at 1,500.
2. Once you get to 1,000 get a personal, executive assistant. I'm not smart enough to do this without someone "handling" me.
3. Develop leaders - be a leader of leaders - pour into those who are going to take Charter Oak Church to the next level.
4. Hedgehog Concept - be the best at what you can be the best at, the rest is just a distraction.
5. Don't listen to criticism - the bigger you get the louder it will become and it will come from people who are in the Church (the big "C" Church) that just don't get it.

There were a ton of other things too that I can't share here, but I can tell you the time I spent with Perry took me up a level in my leadership. It was awesome.

Thanks Perry for taking the time to pour into me. I know you are an extremely busy guy. You not only get the leading the local church thing, you get the Kingdom building part too! You're the best!

1 comments:

Tom Beagan said...

Chris,
This is great. I bet you had a great talk. I found Perry to be visionary, convicted, compassionate, friendly, caring, passionate and truly called to be a leader by God. Over and over our leadership team keeps realizing the more we focus outwardly to other leaders, the more our leadership improves. Keep up the good work and keep your eyes on Jesus.