Monday, June 4, 2007

The End of the Series

This weekend completed the series on Intimacy. I learned a great deal leading up to and during this series. I had seven weeks to prepare, study, and pray over this series. I wrote a forty page study guide. It was the most preparation I have ever put into a message series before.

Here are some things that I learned or I was reminded of:
  • Preparation is everything. I was more relaxed going into each weekend because I knew all the work was already done. I just needed to review it.
  • Preparation is one of those things that only I can do. I do a lot of different things around here, but the one thing only I can do, is prepare for my messages. I need to remember to focus the majority of my time on only what I can do and then hand off the rest so others can do only what they can do.
  • Criticism is louder than praise. I received a couple of critical emails/letters during the series. I also received a ton of praise emails/letters. Which did I focus on? The criticism.
  • The total package of the worship service can make me look really good or not. The whole arts package around this series has been fantastic.
  • What I get to do around here on the weekends is priceless. But it isn't about me, it's all about God and he deserves all of the praise and glory for what is happening here.

Well, one week off from preaching so I can go to Annual Conference and then I am back for a four week series called - Can You Hear Me Now?

3 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Good insights; glad you evaluated yourself. I've found that one of the biggest failures in leadership (myself included, believe me) is a failure to honestly evaluate after a project. You've got a handle on that; good for you.

I also echo what you say about prep...it surely makes a difference! Delegation, more and more, is so important.

See you in Grove City!

Randy Roda said...

I wish I would have prepared for sermons better when I was serving. I would spend the whole week running, then would buckle down and get it done on Friday. By Sundays it was not always what it needed to be. Thanks for the preparation reminder. Sounds like you had a great series. See ya at AC.

Tom Beagan said...

As someone who experienced most of the series I was very impressed. I liked your more relaxed presentation style without losing the passion. I also believe incorporating video, drama and music into the message is extremely important for non-auditory learners. Keep evaluating but also remember that if you are not creating holy discontent and people are complaining you probably are sharing the Gospel strong enough.