Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Tough Question - Dying Church

Tonight I was doing ministry by "walking around" after our Wednesday night children's ministry program called Mission Possible. I was introduced to one of the moms. She told me that her daughter loves Mission Possible and is learning so much. She said she and her husband were in a delimma. They currently attend another church. There is one child in the Sunday school program - their's. They were thinking about switching to Charter Oak Church because they want their daughter to learn about having a relationship with Jesus. She asked me what they should do.

I said a quick prayer and then answered her that we would never try to take a family from another church. I told her I would never say anything negative about another church. Then I told her that she and her husband have a responsibility to raise their children to love God with all of their heart, mind, soul, and strength. If they do not genuinely believe that is happening where they are now, then they need to find a place where that can happen.

I didn't get the feeling that this family is "church shopping" - trying us out because we are new. I really felt that this mom wants the best for her family and is willing to do whatever it takes to help her family to learn about Jesus. She told me that her family history at her current church goes back to her grandparents - they were married there. It was obvious that this was not going to be an easy decision.

As a pastor, this was a very tough question because I'm not sure of what my responsibility is to another church and helping people stay at their current church instead of attending ours. I'm not into sheep swapping, I would love it if all of the new people who attend Charter Oak Church didn't know Jesus - that would be awesome. But the truth of the matter is, there are churches dying and closing everyday and those people need a place to worship and grow.

Is it more important that a person or family stay at a dying church or to find a place where they can develop as a follower of Jesus? What would you have said to this mom?

0 comments: