Monday, January 1, 2007

Book #1 - Momentum for Life

Today is the first day of the year and I have already read my first book. With the whole New Year's Resolution thing in mind, I thought I would begin with a book about "sustaining personal health, integrity, and strategic focus as a leader."

He uses an aconym called DRIVE:
Devotion
Whatever I am devoted to is who I become.
S.O.N.
Scripture reading for the day
Observation from what I read
Naming practical applications for my life
Written prayer.
Begin each day with the practice of Bible study, meditation, journaling, and prayer.

Readiness
Spend at least an hour a day reading about the best practices of leadership culture today as
well as staying faithful to ancient truths of the past.
Life long learning: become a student of the culture, so you can continue to make a meaningful
contribution in God’s world.

Investing
Investing in key relationships, beginning with my family. I’m committed to putting my
family before my work and church.
Invest in other people who are strategic for the mission. All people are equally important to
God, but not all are equally strategic for the expenditure of your time for God’s purposes.

Visioning
Visioning for the future. If I have no future pictures, I’ll live in the past. It’s critical that
you have a picture, because you become your life picture.
You have a unique calling; you must become who God has created you to be.
Look forward through eyes of faith. Articulate with clarity God’s preferred future; make
daily strategic corrections to your life picture.

Eating & Exercising
Take care of my heart and health. Run regularly. Work out with weights. Watch fats, carbs,
& sugars
Take small steps and then bigger ones. Take a vigorous walk. Take care of your body for the
long haul as well as for today.

Think Psalm 120:2
Deliver me, O Lord, from lying lips and a deceitful tongue. Save me from rationalization, procrastination, and a lack of visualizing your bigger picture for my life mission.

0 comments: