Monday, July 20, 2009

Book #11 - Chasing Francis


A couple of weeks ago I had lunch with a member of Charter Oak Church. He gave me a book I had not heard of before, but his small group had recently used to facilitate their discussion each week. That book was Chasing Francis by Ian Cron. I don't read fiction very often, but when Kelli and I went away for a few days to Lake Erie I thought it would be a good book to take along. I am thankful that Doug put the book in my hands and that I read it.
The book is the story of a pastor who is on a spiritual journey and his life is intersected by the life of St. Francis of Assisi. He comes to a crisis of faith and it is in learning the way of Jesus through the life of Francis that his life is given direction and hope.
I learned a great deal from this some what historical fiction book. I am guessing that the things that were about St. Francis were historically true even though the story itself was fictional. This is a good book for those (perhaps pastors) who need to have their lives rooted in the history of the church instead of influenced by the fades of today.

0 comments: