Friday, October 19, 2007

Climbing the Ladder

This morning I was re-reading a section from Marcus Buckingham's book First, Break All the Rules. He wrote that the vast majority of employees today have a drive to be at the next rung up on the ladder. He asks a great question though - why? Why would someone want to go up to the next level when he or she is doing the current position with great excellence and getting a great deal of satisfaction from doing it? Why would someone want to go into the unknown - wouldn't know if he or she could do the position with great excellence, wouldn't know if he or she would get a great deal of satisfaction?

Why not set people up to succeed where they are for a very long time? Here's a quote from the book from an employee who had this happen to him...

"I love my role. I'm the best in the company at it. I am making a lot of money doing it. And I am having more of an impact than I ever thought was possible in my life. So I said to my boos, I said, 'your one objective with me is to see to it that I am never promoted again. If you can do that, you have me for life.'"

How does this apply for you - at work, at home, in school, in sports, at church?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I have read this article and your blog, I was just thinking if the language would be more appropriate if it said "Most church goers are far more informed and inspired than transformed" For me, to be Christian means that I have engaged Jesus as a follower and my life has been transformed by him. Just some musings!

Chris Whitehead said...

Transformation is definitely the key. It is harder to measure and therefore we don't even try. The reality is, that is just laziness. We must have greater rigor for the things that are most important, no matter how hard they may be to measure.