Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Buzz

Within the Christian blogging world there is a great deal being written about "Buzz." Churches want to create a buzz about what is going on there. I am one of those people who wants people in our region to know about Charter Oak Church and the God size things that are happening here. I want people to know about it, because I want them to become infected with the love of Jesus. I don't want buzz just for the sake of calling attention to our church. That happened when we were on the news twice in the last year. First, when we were still in the construction phase and we had some things stolen from the site. Second, when the pipe froze and broke, dumping hundreds of gallons of water in our chapel and in the classrooms below it. I can certainly do without that kind of buzz in the community.

The kind of buzz I want to see created around Charter Oak Church isn't actually about us. It's about what God is doing here - in and through our people. As I was doing my morning Bible study today I read this quote from Romans 1:8, "First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world."

Now that is buzz. What would it look like for our faith to be spoken of throughout this region? What would it look like for our faith to be spoken of throughout Western PA? What would it look like for our faith to be spoken of throughout the world?

Here's the thing...if the point of our existence is to be spoken of, then it's pointless. It's never about the buzz. It's never about getting noticed. It's all about obedience to God. Let's keep it real. Let's keep the main thing, the main thing.

1 comments:

Randy Roda said...

There is a belief in the world that all publicity is good publicity. But you have rightly pointed out that it is not for the sake of being noticed that we do these things.

To know Christ nad make him known, nothing more and nothing less should be our ambition.

Publicity fades...but integrity remains a constant. You at Charter Oak are doing it right.