Monday, April 30, 2007

Book #9 - In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day

At the beginning of this year I challenged the people of Charter Oak Church to get out into the open water where God does His best work. It is the place where we are most uncomfortable. It is the place where we have the least amount of strength and ability. It's when God has to take over or we will fail. I forgot about that vision for a little while. In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson reminded me of where God really wants me.

I have been comfortable for too long. I have not done anything that for it to happen it would only be by the grace of God. If you are in need of a red-hot shot of faith pumping adrenaline, then read this book. If you worship and serve a comfortable, safe god then forget it.

1 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Amen! The gospel is anything but comfortable, and the Spirit doesn't let us stay in one place for too long!

I'm reminded of C.S. Lewis and Narnia, and the point he makes that Aslan is wonderful, but he is not a tame lion.

Good stuff; I'll check out that book.