Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Leadership and Servant Training - Last Night

Last night at our Leadership and Servnant Taining gathering, I shared "five fundamentals" to a vital church that will be released very soon by a United Methodist bishop as a book. We had some great discussion over these issues. I love the leaders of Charter Oak Church. They are willing to open up and tackle tough issues in a way that helps me and I believe our church to be the very best that God has to offer. Here are the five fundamentals:
  1. Radical Hospitality
  2. Passionate Worship
  3. Intentional Faith Development
  4. Risk-Taking Mission and Service
  5. Extravagant Generosity

The adjectives that are used are very specific and led us to really root down to where we are here at Charter Oak Church and where it is that God is leading us into the future. It also exposed some pre-conceived ideas. It was an awesome night that added great value into my life. You guys rock!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting variant from the original five fundamentals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamentalist_Christianity

Chris Whitehead said...

Tom,

One of my favorite ways to lead is by asking questions. I always want to know why we are doing what we are doing because I want to do the right things for the right reasons. I want Charter Oak Church to be on God's agenda and not on my agenda. One of the ways to make sure that my agenda doesn't overtake God's agenda is to ask lots of questions.

That's what I was doing that night with our leadership. When I ask a question, I listen. The leaders of this church are much smarter than me. I listen for God to speak truth through the incredible people we have at Charter Oak Church. What they said was good stuff.

So here's a question for anyone reading this...what are your five fundamentals to a vital church? And why?