Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Getting Started on My Reading List

A few weeks ago I posted here some of the books I hope to read in 2007. Well, I received four of those books and I'm excited to start reading. I am on vacation this week so I will be reading up a storm. I just finished One Thing: Boldly Pursuing All That Matters by Dwayne Roberts. Dwayne is a prayer missionary at the International House of Prayer (IHOP). I received this book a few months ago through my subscription to Relevant Network. I was glad to read the book, but it really didn't say too much. There was a ton on the experiential side of prayer, which was interesting, but not always true. I don't believe God wants us to seek an experience of Him, I believe God wants us to seek Him, no matter what. It was good to read something a little bit different than I normally would. That is going to be my theme for 2007 - reading more of a variety of books.

My next read is on my 2007 list - Momentum for Life: Sustaining Personal Health, Integrity, and strategic Focus as a Leader by Michael Slaughter. Thanks for the book Jen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Chris I am curious what four books did you receive? I know Momentum for Life is one.

Chris Whitehead said...

The other books I received for Christmas were Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell (I'm reading it now.) Simply Christian by NT Wright and Chasing Daylight by Erwin McManus.

After reading the first couple of chapters of Velvet Elvis, I have to say that Rob Bell writes in a style that is refreshing and thought provoking. It thought I would just blaze through it, but I find myself stopping and re-reading and thinking at a much deeper level. Good stuff for sure!

Anonymous said...

Do you ever watch the Nooma videos by Rob Bell. Great powerful stuff.