Thursday, April 17, 2008

Question #1 - Ministry

Back on March 31, Craig Groeschel started a series of posts on 10 questions that he believes every leader should be asking in several areas of life. I want to start answering these questions from my place here at Charter Oak Church. The first series of questions is on Ministry.

Question #1 - Is our vision so big that we obviously can't accomplish it without God?

Our vision at Charter Oak Church, when it is boiled down, is changed lives for eternity. We want people to give their lives to Jesus and then to equip them to become more like Jesus in everything they do and say down to the last detail. I think that is a huge vision. In Matthew 16:18 Jesus said, "And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it." I love that - Jesus will build His church. It's not my responsibility. I am to be obedient to His word and to live His truth with grace and love.

To put this in an even clearer context of how huge the vision God has laid upon the people of Charter Oak Church think about two things...first, there are 33,000 people within a five mile radius of our church that do not attend church. Even if we were to reach 1% of those people this year, that would be 330! That's God size growth.

Second, we live in a very me oriented society and we are asking people to become more like Jesus. That doesn't just happen. The discipleship process is not an easy one and should not be done alone. We are the Body of Christ, shaped and formed to do life together.

Is our vision so big that we obviously can't accomplish it without God? Absolutely!

Please join me in praying that no matter what we will stay true to the vision God has given us and that we will be obedient to what God wants to do in and through us as He builds His church.

0 comments: